Monday, May 12, 2014

Well, well . . . happy blog birthday to me

Turns out that yesterday wasn't just Mother's Day; it was also the 9th anniversary of the creation of this here blog. NINE YEARS! Imagine that!

I took a quick look back to get some idea where my writing career was at that point. I was definitely already writing and submitting poetry and stories for children (I have now been at it since 2003, so it's been about 11 years), was in an in-person critique group at the time, and hadn't sold anything yet. I was working on getting a website together, but it wasn't operational yet.

I've made some excellent friends through this here blog over the years, including quite a few who started out as blog friends and became friends in real life as well. I've found that the folks I really click with online turn out to be people I really click with in real life, too. Who'd have thunk it?

To celebrate my blogiversary, I believe I'm going to think about hosting a new event. Perhaps a summer read of Mansfield Park by Jane Austen is in order, both because I haven't done that novel yet and because it's the 200th anniversary of its publication this year. Or perhaps a return to Brush Up Your Shakespeare month? Or maybe both, but obviously not at the same time?

All thoughts welcome, so please leave some!

2 comments:

Courtney LeMay said...

Definitely do a summer reading of Mansfield Park! I have been listening to Jane Austen audiobooks at work, and it is the final book I have to read after I finish Persuasion! It is also the only Jane Austen book I have not read, and I would really like to hear your thoughts on it.

Courtney LeMay said...

Definitely do a summer reading of Mansfield Park! I have been listening to Jane Austen audiobooks at work, and it is the final book I have to read after I finish Persuasion! It is also the only Jane Austen book I have not read, and I would really like to hear your thoughts on it.