Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Monday, January 28, 2013

The weekend

Well, will you look at that! Somehow it's got to be Monday evening, and I haven't posted here since Friday, despite good intentions to post daily when possible.

It's not like I couldn't have put a post up. I was around, and with computer access, if'n I'd have wanted it. It's just that I took the opportunity to "do more of what makes me happy," and then I didn't feel up to forcing myself to stay up extra late or whatever in order to put up a post.

On Saturday, my sweetheart and I went to see LINCOLN, which was an absolutely wonderful way to spend several hours. It's a steadily paced sort of film - it's never fast-moving, really, but neither does it drag. Daniel Day Lewis does such a tremendous job in the title role that it's very hard to see that he's in there; it feels as if you're watching Abraham Lincoln. Not that any of us have a clue how he moved or what he sounded like, exactly, but it's hard not to be 100% convinced that Lewis nailed it. Sally Field was good as Mary "Molly" Todd Lincoln, though I don't see her taking Anne Hathaway down at the Oscars, and many of the other supporting actors were quite good too, including Gulliver McGrath (who played Tad Lincoln), David Strathairn as Secretary of State Seward, James Spader as a hired gun to find Democrats to vote for the 13th Amendment, Michael Stuhlbarg as the conflicted George Yeaman, David Oyelowo as an African American soldier who discusses pay equity with Lincoln at the start of the film, and, of course, Tommy Lee Jones, who plays the noted abolitionist, Thaddeus Stevens. Heck, I could keep trolling the cast list on IMDB to tell you more of my favorite performances. There were that many, and they were that good.

On Sunday, my sweetheart and I headed to New York City for the day, where we met his son and daughter-in-law for a really delicious lunch at Westville East, then headed to the 92 St. Y for a qigong seminar with Dr. Yang Yang, noted researcher and author of a marvelous book on tai chi, Taijiquan: The Art of Nurturing, The Science of Power. (It was billed as a qigong class, but given the small class size - there were only 5 of us in attendance - it morphed into something much more intimate and in-depth.) (Qigong, pronounced chee-gung, is energy-gathering exercise, designed to improve the flow of qi (chi) in the body. Qigong exercises include meditation as well as movement, and tai chi, when done properly, is a qigong exercise. *The More You Know*)

Needless to say, both days were rather long, and as I do not yet have an abundance of energy, there was a need for naps and early bedtimes and such. But it was a wonderful weekend, and it was definitely spent in a way that makes me happy.

What about you? What did your weekend hold?

Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home