Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!

A merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it, with wishes of peace for all of you, whether you are of the Christmas persuasion or not!

Can you hear the people sing?

No, not Christmas carols. Today, my sweetheart and I took the girls to see the movie version of Les Misérables. We all liked it. Of the four of us, I was the only one who'd seen the stage show (I saw it twice, actually, before they "new & improved" the production, which tends to get bad reviews from old fans). I found it to be more personal-feeling, what with all the close-ups during songs, but I also missed the energy of a live performance. Anne Hathaway's performance was heart-wrenching, however, and buzz about a best supporting actress nomination seems justified. I really liked Hugh Jackman's acting performance as Jean Valjean, but (don't hate me!) in some cases I thought his singing was a tad too nasal, especially given the tremendous, open-throated performances of some of the stage Valjeans.

There was quite a lot of sniffling going on in the audience, and I think those of us who knew the show and/or the music were the sniffliest - all it took was a few chords leading into "The Prayer" for half the audience to start tearing up, but it seemed to be the folks around who had been talking about the show who were teariest.

Tonight, the girls have headed back to their dad's house for a traditional Christmas dinner of roast beef. I think my sweetheart and I are going to have baked macaroni & cheese, an idea I swiped from Jackie Dolamore. Eventually, Kismet the wonder cat will tire of this game of fetch (45 minutes and counting - she is a BEAST when it comes to fetch!), and then she will sleep. It is very nice that for the moment, the world is quiet here.

I hope all is right in your corner of the world.

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: