Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Dear friends,

This morning, I am writing to you about my cat.

I could be writing to you about my writing, which has been nonexistent this week, though I am feeling the urge to write something this morning, now that M is off to her brother's birthday party and I've got the house to myself for a few hours.

I could be writing to you about the weather - how we got a snow storm, and I spent an hour outside shoveling heavy, slushy snow from my sidewalks and driveway, cleared the cars, and shoveled a path for my next-door neighbors, since I know this snow is far too heavy for them to deal with.

I could be writing to you about The Artist, which was absolutely marvelous and should win Best Picture at the Oscars and Best Actor for Jean DuJardin (yes, he was better than George Clooney in The Descendants, and that's saying something), with nominations for best original score, best actress (or supporting actress) for Bérénice Béjo, best director (possible win) for Michel Hazanavicius, best costuming, and best set design. Plus some others. Maybe they can give an Oscar to the Jack Russell terrier, too. M and I saw it yesterday afternoon, and it was tremendous. As in "Oh my God everyone everywhere should see this movie, it's so wonderful!" tremendous.

Instead, I am writing to you about Kismet, who has developed a keen interest in studying the finer properties of gravity, as well as examining the mechanics of work, in the scientific term. F=ma, and all that. At least, she appears to taking mental notes about precisely how much force is required to knock a variety of objects off a variety of surfaces and onto the floor. She has twice cleared M's nightstand of all objects, ranging from movie ticket stubs to eyeglasses to metal bracelets to books. She has done the same with my nightstand, and has attempted the same feat on a variety of objects in a variety of additional locations. Despite being scolded roundly on all occasions, she seems to believe that this sort of behavior warrants an award of kitty treats. I can only conclude that she has decided to become a kitty scientist, possibly with an eye to becoming a mad scientist and/or evil overlord.

Do drop me a note and tell me how you are and what you're up to.


Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home