Monday, June 06, 2011

Well, hello there!

Just a quick non-writing, non-reading sort of post at the moment - I'll get to today's chapter of Emma a bit later.

Here's what I've been (and will be) up to:

1. Yesterday, I went to the "summer" meeting of the Jane Austen Society of North America's Eastern Pennsylvania region. It was fabitty fab. I got to sit next to Michael Gamer, a professor of English at Penn, during lunch. We discussed Romantic poets and my contemporary YA romance, which is an update of an Austen novel about which he knows gobs. And then I got to listen to Claudia L. Johnson, one of the foremost Austen scholars on the planet, talking about Austen's hold on readers. It was excellent - food, company, speaker, and all. Plus the nice bartender decided not to charge me for my Coke. A lovely day in and of itself, but afterwards, I picked M up at home and we spent some time in the park - me reading Kay Ryan's poems from her collection, Best of It, and starting a new poem of my own and M reading Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton, with which M is now obsessed. And then last night M and I watched the MTV Movie Awards. Let me just say that Robert Pattinson made me LOL on more than one occasion - he's so deliciously awkward.

2. Today found me starting the cleaning process in advance of my parents' visit next week for S's graduation. And while I started the day in an okay mood, once I went to tai chi class and then enjoyed a frappuchino in the sun for about half an hour, I was positively happy.

3. I'm working on Chapter 18 of my YA romance project, and am quite happy with the continuing progress. Of course, I wish it were going faster than it is, but don't all writers want that for their work?

4. On Thursday, June 9th at 4 p.m., I'm going to be one of several members of the KidLit Authors Club speaking at the Barnes & Noble store in Moorestown, New Jersey. I hope that if you're around, you'll consider stopping by!


Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: