Friday, May 20, 2011

My poetry reading on Monday night

On Monday night, I was the featured reader at Poetry in the Round, a monthly poetry group that meets at the Barnes & Noble in Marlton, NJ. Next month's featured reader is my friend Bruce Niedt, and I encourage those of you who live near enough to make it to the meeting on June 20th to come on out for it - Bruce is an extremely talented and prolific poet who has studied with some really exceptional poets, and his work is really moving into a whole new level. I'd say I'm digressing, but really, "go see Bruce Niedt" is probably the most important take-away from this post.

Back to Monday . . .

I was delighted to have a fairly large crowd at the reading. Some of my fellow poets were there, as well as my wonderful mother-in-law and one of her friends. I was tickled pink that Chris (who just got his master's in English and was my favorite barrista at Borders before it closed) turned up with his girlfriend, and Angela not only came, but also brought M, her older son, along. He liked a couple of my poems, but he was rolling at several of the ones Bruce Niedt read during the open reading that followed my reading. (Further support for my assertion that you will love Bruce's work.)

I read an assortment of poems, including "Troubled Water" and "Socratic Method", both of which can be found over at Chantarelle's Notebook, where I am (for the moment) still the featured poet. "Troubled Water" appears in Breaking Waves: An Anthology for Gulf Coast Relief, an ebook that is still available for purchase at Book View Cafe as well as in a Kindle edition at Amazon.com for a mere $4.99. All proceeds benefit ongoing Gulf Coast cleanup efforts. And yes, I gave that same infomercial during my reading - lest we all forget how we humans came close to breaking the ocean only last year.

I read quite a lot of poems, actually, including some that I wrote as writing exercises with Angela, and a couple that I wrote early last month in response to the prompts given by Robert Lee Brewer over at his Poetic Asides blog for Writer's Digest. Some of the poems you may have seen here or elsewhere on the web - such as "Shelling Peas" and "Us"; some are so new that, prior to Monday, nobody had seen or heard them but me.

I am extremely grateful to everyone who showed up on Monday, and to Barney Oldfield, the wonderful poet who runs the Poetry in the Round group for inviting me to read. And now, I'm looking forward to June 20th, when Bruce Niedt will be reading at 7:30. I'll probably remind you about it when the date gets closer - just in case any of you can come meet me and hang out!

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: