Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Quoteskimming

From a blog post by romance novelist Meg Maguire entitled "EASY STREET CLOSED: Please Use the Long and Less Deluded Detour Through Realityville →"

The Call is wondrous, no matter what form it takes, and you should wallow in it when it arrives. Wallow and gloat and toast, just don't expect that feeling to last forever. It can't, and it won't, and even if it did, you'd be too high on it to appreciate the next bit of good news.

What I'm trying to say, I suppose, is that writers, no matter what stage they're at, are equal beings. Perhaps not so tidily, according to the numbers on their paychecks or their Amazon ranking, but no matter what stage we're each at, we have the struggle in common. We share the struggle, along with triumphs both small and large, hopes for new successes in the coming weeks or months or years, and thrilling news to share with those who care about us and have watched us struggle and get knocked to the mat only to stand up again and invite the next punch en route to victory.
From the always clever and thoughtful Jennifer Hubbard. I recommend you all read all of her posts, by the way, but in particular I'm quoting from her post, "Making Room for the Reader"

Sometimes we feel compelled to explain everything, tell everything, make sure the reader knows every nugget of backstory and every thought that is going through the character's head. But it's more fun to leave a little mystery, to allow readers put things together themselves. So I suppose my message today is: Leave room for the reader.
Another author whose blog you really might like - especially if you're a writer - is that of my friend Jo Knowles. Today, I'm quoting from Jo's latest writing-related post, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned From . . . "

"Sometimes I think it takes a little bit of being crazy to make a difference in this world."-Steven Tyler.

So true. Soooooo true.

And isn't it true about writing, too? I mean, my favorite books are the ones that, I bet at some point, either the author or the editor had that thought: Am I crazy? Can we really do this? And I'm so grateful to the people who've been brave enough to say YES.

It's how we push boundaries and raise the bar, I think. It's how we grow and discover what we're really capable of.

Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home