Monday, March 07, 2011

Current Reading

I haven't done a "what I'm reading now" post in a while, and I thought perhaps it was time.

From the library:

Till I End My Song: A Gathering of Last Poems, edited by Harold Bloom. I think I might want this for my birthday. Bloom has collected the last poems - or, in some cases, poems that would be fitting as last poems - from 100 noted or notable poets. The collection is organized chronologically, and it includes some wonderful poems I'd not seen before. It being a Bloom collection, it is mostly composed of white men (sorry, but it's true - it's not quite at the level of Austen's quote about history "all the men so good for nothing, and hardly any women at all", but the man does have a pro-white pro-male bias. Still, a lovely collection.

Hard Times Require Furious Dancing, a collection of poems by Alice Walker. They are skinny poems, by which I mean that they are usually only an inch or so wide on the page: Walker seems to have a preference for one- to three-word lines. I am enjoying the book so far, although I'm only about 30 pages into it.

Here's an example of what I mean - a poem called "Sometimes", that really spoke to me and will, I suspect, resonate with you writers out there:

Sometimes
by Alice Walker

Sometimes
who knows how?
the body & the soul
come back
together
again
the hand
holding the pen
writes
not advertising
but
heart.


I will likely try my hand at a few skinny poems sometime soon, just because I can.

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride. M already read it, and she loved it, in part because the teen characters were not in high school. (I'm sure that will warm the heart of anyone writing a YA that takes place outside of high school!) She liked the lyrics and song titles that made up the chapter headings, the humor running throughout the book, and more. I've promised to read it before it's due back at the library a week from Thursday.

In my own TBR pile

Honestly, I've been re-reading Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean, which will almost undoubtedly lead to me re-reading Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord sometime soon, although I may be impeded because I think that Ten Ways is on loan to . Ah well. It's not like I don't have PILES of books waiting for me!

I'm also reading some of the short stories and poems in Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders by Neil Gaiman.

And I'm planning on reading Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal once I finish Nine Rules. It sounds exactly up my alley - set in Regency England, but involving glamours. I believe I learned of it from Barry Goldblatt's Twitter stream, actually, and I'm quite excited to start on it.

On deck, in no particular order

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
Marcelo in the Real World by Francisco X. Stork
Soul Enchilada by David Gill
Ash by Malinda Lo
The Healing Spell by Kimberly Griffiths Little
The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell
Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer
Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt
The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan
Shadow by Jenny Moss
Darklight and Tempestuous by Lesley Livingston
Catching Fire and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (I know!)
A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table by Molly Wizenberg
Princess of Glass by Jessica Day George
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (I know!)
The Total Tragedy of a Girl Named Hamlet
White Cat by Holly Black
Mockingbird by Kathy Erskine
The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman
Zero Regrets: Be Greater Than Yesterday by Apolo Anton Ohno
Defining the World: The Extraordinary Story of Dr. Johnson's Dictionary by Henry Hitchings
The Seventh Level by Jody Feldman
Lips Touch by Laini Taylor

There are actually more, but that's what I can see without getting up to go look at other stacks that are not right near my bed. Oh my. So many books. And so many more that I still want to get my hands on.

Books I'll pick up as soon as they come out this spring:

Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart by Sarah MacLean
Blood Magic by Tessa Gratton
The Piper's Son by Melina Marchetta (on sale tomorrow!)
The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson
Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn
Sara Emma Edmonds was a Great Pretender by Carrie Jones

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of my must-buy titles. My only excuse is that I'm in desperate need of a nap!


Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: