Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pride & Prejudice, Volume III, chapter 13 (ch 55)

Long story, short

With Darcy off to London for ten days, Bingley is at looses ends - which he speedily ties up by spending his time with the Bennets. In a matter of days, in fact, he proposes to Jane, who is now happily engaged to be married to her true love. Lizzy is, of course, thrilled for her sister; she's also quite glad that Bingley didn't mention Darcy's role in convincing him that Jane was indifferent.

Oh, Mrs Bennet!

Mrs Bennet tries hard to manoeuvre things so that Bingley and Jane are left alone, behaving in such an obvious manner as to be completely embarrassing - winking and pulling her daughters out of the room with a blatant disregard for propriety. And then, when Jane is engaged, she doesn't understand her husband's teasing. And there's this: "Oh! my dear, dear Jane, I am so happy! I am sure I shan't get a wink of sleep all night. I knew how it would be. I always said it must be so, at last. I was sure you could not be so beautiful for nothing!" Because of course Bingley is only marrying her for her looks, right? Gah!

Laugh and the world laughs with you

We know that Elizabeth is certainly thinking of Darcy all along. But Jane doesn't know that:

"I am certainly the most fortunate creature that ever existed!" cried Jane. "Oh! Lizzy, why am I thus singled from my family, and blessed above them all! If I could but see you as happy! If there were but such another man for you!"

"If you were to give me forty such men, I never could be so happy as you. Till I have your disposition, your goodness, I never can have your happiness. No, no, let me shift for myself; and, perhaps, if I have very good luck, I may meet with another Mr Collins in time."
Dudes - I cannot WAIT until tomorrow, because there's a visitor coming to Longbourne, and I am all anticipation for one of my favorite chapters in this novel - and that is truly saying something!

I wish I could find a clip of the 2005 Bingley proposal online for you, but it has disappeared. Joe Wright made boneheaded choices in telling this story, but the proposal scene includes a funny bit of dialogue between Darcy and Bingley out by the stream and then a gorgeous clip of Simon Woods as Bingley walking up to Rosamund Pike as Jane to propose. Alas, it is not currently available on YouTube. *sigh*


Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: