Sunday, February 13, 2011

On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God by Louise Rennison

Dear Louise Rennison:

While Georgia Nicolson is a funny character, and what she and her family and friends and her mad cat get up to is amusing, her baby sister Libby may be one of the funniest characters I've ever encountered. Ever. In book or on film. On multiple occasions while reading this book, I laughed until I cried - long bouts of sustained laughter - over things to do with Libby. Such as this:

"Mum, have you noticed anything unusual about me? I am not happy . . . in fact, I am very unhappy."

"Why? Have you broken a nail?" And she laughed in a very unpleasant way. Then she called out, "Libbsy, where are you, pet? What are you doing?"

I could hear Libby's muffled voice from Mum's bedroom and a bit of miaowing. Libby called, "Nuffing."

Mum rushed in there, saying, "Oh God."

I heard bang, bang and Mum yelling, "Libby, that is Mummy's best lipstick!"

"It looks nice!!!!"

"No, it doesn't. Cats don't wear lipstick."

"Yes."

"No they don't."

"Yes."

"Owww; don't kick Mummy."

"Bad Mummy!!!"

Hahahaha. She who laughs last laughs . . . er . . . the last.
Sincerely,
Kelly Fineman

Dear blog readers,

This book picks up where the Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging left off, and we're left to discover whether Georgie has to go to New Zealand or not and what's up with Robbie (the Sex God of the title). We meet a new character - Dave the Laugh - who I just know is going to be her one true love by the end of the series. (DO NOT TELL ME IF I AM RIGHT OR WRONG ABOUT THIS!) And we get a better indication of what Georgie's like - although I sometimes wonder why Jas is friends with her, really, since Georgie isn't always (or even usually) particularly supportive.

There are any number of completely brilliant moments in this book - not just the funny bits, either, but the underlying home truths about the characters - whether it's to do with Georgia's lonely mother or about the many perils and pitfalls of being a teenager and older sibling or about Georgie's self-image. (She's especially self-conscious about her nose.)

I'm quite looking forward to the next book.

Hugs,
K


Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: