Saturday, February 19, 2011

Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? by Louise Rennison

All good things have to come to an end, and thus it is with the Confessions of Georgia Nicolson series. In Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me?, we reach the end of the trail that is Georgia's story. (That said, my understanding is that Rennison's new series, The Misadventures of Tallulah Casey, makes occasional mention of Georgia, who is Tallulah's cousin – so that's something to look forward to – also, starting on March 3rd, Rennison will be presenting an online serialized story under the title of the book appearing in Georgia's books, How to Make Any Twit Fall in Love With You. Here's the link to the announcement. You're welcome.)

The story includes such marvelous things as Sven in drag, Libby snogging a potato, a sing-along version of The Sound of Music ("The hills are alive with the sound of PANTS", etc.), the very real possibility of Jas having to snog Wet Lindsay on stage, a visit to a wildlife park where there are lots of Scottish wildcats, a management contract for the Stiff Dylans that has them moving to London (will Masimo go without Georgia?), the invention of the 1/4 entry on the snogging scale by the Little Titches (aka the Dave the Laugh Fan Club), the reformation of Georgia's dad as a result of her mother's inner goddess (or somesuch thing), Uncle Eddie continuing his career as a male stripper (!), and the production of Romeo and Juliet.

And there's this lovely scene:

Dave said, "I'll walk balk along your way in case you are attacked by voles."

I said, "Fanks." . . .

Then Dave said, "Well, I don't know what you think, missus, but I thought that was quite literally a hoot and a half. I thought your yodeling in 'The Lonely Goatherd' was, well, good is not the word."

I said, "Oy, mate, I have practiced yodeling for weeks. Libby makes me read Heidi at least four times a day." . . .

Dave put his hand on my face and just gently stroked it. Then he traced his finger around my mouth.

Oh no, stop puckering!!!

He looked down at me still with his finger on my lips and said, "I don't know what it is about you, kittykat, but for me you are the most beautiful girl in the world."

Then he kissed me, just a little kiss.

I sort of reached up to kiss him back, but he stepped back then and pulled his coat collar up.

He breathed in really deeply and then cleared his throat and said, "Hmmm, that was a bit unexpected . . . but, anyway, dig you later."

I didn't know what to say. Or do.

I just stood there.

I wanted to do all sorts of things. Grab him, run away, laugh uncontrollably. Snog, go to the loo, do a bit of the flame dance. I don't know!!!! Who is in control here?

As I dithered around, he walked off home.
*happy sigh* Although I feel constrained to point out that this bit, which happens on pages 214-15 of the US hardcover edition, does not actually clue you into the ending, which is comes some 81 pages later. So there.

Having finished this 10-book series, I am (a) quite looking forward to reading the Tallulah Casey books and (b) contemplating re-reading the series sometime in the future, because (1) I love the story (within each book and overall), (2) I adore humorous books and these are some of the funniest I've ever read, and maybe-just-maybe I'll be able to kinda-sorta analyze them on a second reading, and (3) I would SO love to write something like this sometime in my life.


Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: