Thursday, February 10, 2011

And nothing is truly lost

For whatever reason today, I was thinking of a Neil Gaiman quote I especially love. It is pulled (I am told) from The Wake, one of the Sandman volumes, and it goes like this:

"Only the phoenix rises and does not descend. And everything changes. And nothing is truly lost."

Is that not lovely? In looking it up and double-checking it, I found also this quote from The Wake, which I shall add to my commonplace book when I get home:

"It's astonishing how much trouble one can get oneself into, if one works at it. And astonishing how much trouble one can get oneself out of, if one assumes that everything will, somehow or other, work out for the best."

That second quote reminds me of a bit I especially love from the movie Shakespeare in Love, involving Geoffrey Rush's character, Philip Henslowe:

HENSLOWE
Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. Believe me, to be closed by the plague is a bagatelle in the ups and downs of owning a theatre.

FENNYMAN
So what do we do?

HENSLOWE
Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.

FENNYMAN
How?

HENSLOWE
I don't know. It's a mystery.
and

WILL
(to HENSLOWE)
We are lost.

HENSLOWE
No, it will turn out well.

WILL
How will it?

HENSLOWE
I don't know, it's a mystery.
I have no clue why I was thinking "and nothing is truly lost", but it sent me to re-read his poem (also a picture book) Instructions, in case it came from there, and then I found its true source, plus a new quote, plus I was reminded of my favorite bit (which repeats another two times) from Shakespeare in Love, so I'm thankful it popped into my head.


Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: