Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Writing progress

This week's writing progress for my YA novel includes a second song. I'm not just writing lyrics, either, but full-on songs - with guitar parts, intros, bridges, etc. I even figured out how to record versions of both of the songs I've written thus far, although the quality isn't good enough for widespread sharing - I had to use a headset to record myself and the guitar at the same time, and the guitar doesn't pick up exceptionally well.

The songs are helping me to know what's going on in the mind of the male lead in this story. Which is funny, since my main character and narrator doesn't necessarily see what her love interest is getting at. Isn't that always the way? Funnier still, only a very small amount of song information is going to make it into the book. Still, it's worth it to me to write these songs in order to get the male character "right".

It's been interesting writing music from scratch - I haven't done such a thing since a composition course in college, so it's kind of a fun challenge to sort out logical chord progressions. Also, it's getting me back to playing the guitar, for which I desperately need to learn some new songs - a lot of the ones I know are old. As in from the 60s and 70s. In other news, the callouses on my left fingertips are almost completely formed now, so my playing time is about to skyrocket.

Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home