Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Psych!

S is taking psychology this year, which makes for interesting conversations now and again. She came home with this latest tidbit, and I am all set to experiment on myself, but it occurred to me that some of you might want to experiment as well, so here's the thing:

According to S, studies show that if you listen to a particular piece of music while studying, then listen to it while sleeping, your dreaming brain will actually keep on studying. This study sounds sensible to me, and is in keeping with one from a good 25 years or more ago that said that if you listened to a particular piece of music while studying and then again while taking a test, your test scores would improve. (Either the same study or a related one linked scent/taste and memory, and proved that if you ate chocolate while studying and then again just before or while taking the test, you'd recall more of the information. And who am I to question the sensible use of chocolate?)

My experiment: I'm going to listen to a particular piece of music from the playlist I have for my WIP when writing, then listen to it while sleeping to see if my brain will figure out what comes next in the scene for me. It can't hurt, right?


Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: