Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat . . .

Boy, do I wish you were here with me so we could sing that song as a round. You know the lyrics, yes?

Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat
Please to put a penny in the old man's hat
If you haven't got a penny, a ha'penny will do
If you haven't got a ha'penny, then God bless you!
I know at least three versions of this song - two separate tunes, plus one that has a separate chorus interjected. It would be ever so much fun to go Christmas caroling again. I love to carol. And to sing in any sort of chorus or round. Fa la la la la, la la la la . . .

In the spirit of caroling, I will share with you a list of some of my favorite carols or Christmas songs:

Carols

Angels We Have Heard on High (love the glorias)
Adeste Fideles/O Come All Ye Faithful (I can sing it in Latin or English and like it either way)
Silent Night (I can sing it in German, English and, oddly enough, do a verse in Japanese - machs nichts)
The Holly and the Ivy
Christmas is Coming . . .
Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming
O Come, O Come Emmanuel
Wassail, wassail all over the town . . .
Must be Santa (I know all the hand motions, too!)
Deck the Halls
We Wish You a Merry Christmas
Il est né, le Divin Enfant

Christmas songs

In the Bleak Midwinter
Let it Snow (let it snow, let it snow)
Silver Bells
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (I know three versions, like the tune on Bing Crosby's album best)
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Merry Christmas Darling
Santa Claus is Coming to Town
Frosty the Snowman
Baby It's Cold Outside
The Little Drummer Boy
Do You Hear What I Hear?
River (I especially like the recordings by Robert Downey Jr. and by k.d. lang)
I'll Be Home For Christmas
The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting on an open fire . . .)
Carol of the Bells
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
Sleigh Ride
Walking in a Winter Wonderland (which I still sing as "walking in my winter underwear" sometimes because of an episode of Evening Shade in which Michael Jeter's character bugged the crap out of Burt Reynolds by singing incorrect lyrics - and why yes, I am old)
And these three from Barenaked for the Holidays, which is one of my favorite holiday CDs ever (it has awesome Chanukah music on it as well): "Elf's Lament", "Footprints", and "Christmastime (Oh Yeah)"

Favorite novelty songs

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer is pretty spectacular
Dominic the Donkey is hilarious ("dippety dip, hee-haw, hee-haw, it's Dominic the donkey")

I am 100% positive that I've left a couple of favorites off my list, but this is as much as I can come up with without going through all my holiday CDs. And you? Favorite carols and holiday songs?


Kiva - loans that change lives

3 comments:

Alyss said...

I freaking LOVE Christmas music. My best friend in college also loved it and wanted to listen to it all year as a kid. Her brother struck a deal with her that she could start listening to it on her birthday so I still bust out the christmas music on Oct 19.

My all time favorite is from the Muppetes Christmas Carol, It Feels like Christmas. I also love 12 Days of Christmas and Joy to the World.. and O Night Divine.

My new favorites this year are O Come O Come Emmanuael and Friendly Beasts. And Lo How a Rose Ere Bloming. I'd never heard it before but love it.

Have you heard Sufjan Stevens' christmas music??

Kelly Fineman said...

I have to check out Sufjan Stevens's music in general - I've heard good things from more than one person!

I ADORE A Muppet Christmas Carol - "light the lamp, not the rat!"

Anonymous said...

I loved the albums that came with sheet lyrics.. Mitch miller and the gang ... Let it snow, chestnuts roasting on an open fire, silver bells ..I loved all the songs