Wednesday, November 24, 2010

TANGLED

A retelling of Rapunzel that develops an intriguing backstory for why the witch wanted to keep Rapunzel to herself for all those years, coupled with a lovely "releasing floating paper lanterns" tradition that is gorgeous and with the addition of a guy who isn't just skulking about in the woods but is actively trying to escape the law adds up to a winning movie combination, or at least that's what M and I decided after we spent a rather enchanting evening at the local cinema laughing and swooning our way through TANGLED. We opted not to see it in 3-D because M really doesn't like 3-D all that much. There were a few scenes that would've been completely awesome in 3-D, I think . . . and I may end up putting that theory to the test.

One of the things we loved most about the movie was how hot the male main character is, who we will call Flynn Rider since it's the name he's introduced by (and the one on the WANTED poster he's holding in the picture below). And yes, M and I are both well aware that he is an animated figure, voiced by the talented Zachary Levi (star of TV's Chuck). The character is both physically attractive and charming and sexy, and neither of us see anything wrong with that. So there. Also? Zach Levi can SING - he performs a duet with the female lead and he did all his own singing. Also-also, Zach Levi said in an interview that he was told Disney tried to make his character the most attractive hero ever. So M and I aren't wrong for agreeing that he's hot. (Right?)

We also loved the extremely feisty Rapunzel, voiced by Mandy Moore. Everybody already knows she can act and sing, so I'm not surprised at her successful vocal performance. The character was adorable and clever and resourceful and all the things I like to see in a heroine. The scene in the period equivalent of a biker bar (think hoodlums and thugs) was excellent and amusing. (Not quite as amusing as the song about Gaston in Beauty and the Beast, but close. Man I love that song - " . . . and every last inch of me's covered in hair!" or "I use antlers in all of my decorating!" or "I'm especially good at expectorating!" But I digress.) The music in this, as in Beauty and the Beast and many other recent (i.e., in the last 20 years) Disney films is by Alan Menken (although to be truthful, none of the songs made me want to clap like a seal the way I wanted to for Beauty and the Beast, Little Mermaid, Aladdin or Enchanted). The lyricist was Glenn Slater. Donna Murphy in the role of the witch (called Mother Gothel) was terrific (I'm pretty sure I saw her on Broadway in They're Playing Our Song back in the late 1970s during a high school field trip. Why yes, I am that old, thanks), and M and I also loved the ever-vigilant Maximus (a horse), who, like the rest of us, succumbs to a fondness for Rapunzel.



Seeing the movie at an early (6:45 p.m.) show proved to be great, because the belly laughs from small children and overheard comments merely added to our enjoyment.

For Chuck fans and people interested in reading more about Zach Levi's role in the movie and/or in seeing more stills from the movie (I guess "stills" works as a term, yes?), you can check out this interview at SheKnows.com.


Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: