Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving and Safe Travels

I'm sure many of you are celebrating Thanksgiving this week, whether on the day or (in the case of my expat friends) on the weekend, and I wish each and every one of you a happy holiday. We may all have been sold a bill of goods about Thanksgiving when we were children (happy Pilgrims in grey and taupe and black consorting with Native Americans who were only too happy to show up with food, etc. - almost all of it manufactured out of gossamer - including the grey and tan clothing, since the Pilgrims weren't actually averse to wearing bold colors, but I digress), but the idea of giving thanks for what we've got is a very good one indeed.

Even on those years when there's precious little to spare and there isn't much in the way of happy events to celebrate, focusing on what you do have is a good thing to do. I am thankful this year for my family - thankful that Mike has stayed cancer-free so far, thankful that my dad made it through last year's heart attack and is doing well, thankful in so many ways for my kids, who are some of the brightest spots in my life. I'm thankful that Wally the dog is up and walking and continues to improve, and that our older pets, Katie the dog (13) and Mojo the cat (14), continue to be with us and happy.

I'm thankful too for friends, and that includes quite a lot of you out there in blog-land, some of whom I've met in person and some of whom I've not yet met. But it is lovely to have you as part of my life. I'm especially thankful for my writing partner, Angela De Groot, and for the lovely women and men with whom I email almost daily about writing and industry things - my Poetry Princesses, my fab KidLit friends, the Guys Lit Wire crew, the CYBILS family and so many of my individual writer friends with whom I correspond: you all keep me going, even when the going gets rough, and I adore you for that (even on the occasional day when I want to shake my fist at you for pushing me along).

I'll be back later today with another Sense & Sensibility post, and will post one tomorrow and Friday as well, but for those of you who are checking off the internet: Safe travels to you, and a happy holiday!




Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: