Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Publication News

Ever wonder what my poems for adults are like? If so, wonder no more - you can read three of my poems at the online journal Chantarelle's Notebook, in Issue 21. They are "Shelling Peas", "Lessons I Wish I Could Share With My Teenage Daughter", and "Us".

The first poem is written in 7 parts, each one a separate reflection/image/observation that occurred to me as I shelled peas a few years back. The second is a form of Italianate sonnet, written in iambic pentameter and rhymed ABBAABBACDCDCD, and is exactly what the title proclaims it to be. The third ("Us") comes from one of my weekly writing exercises - this particular one was chosen by Angela De Groot from Bonnie Neubauer's wonderful writing inspiration book, The Write-Brain Workbook: 366 Exercises to Liberate Your Writing - you had to list two magazine titles, two book names and two song titles, then incorporate them in your writing. (The book anticipates that you will write short stories - I usually write poems instead.) And yes, "Us" was one of my magazine titles. That leaves one more magazine title, two book titles, and two song titles to find. (The song titles are conveniently labelled as such - one song and one book title are hiding, however.) The poem is not autobiographical per se, in that none of it ever actually happened, yet there are elements that are true as truth. Funny how that happens, yes?

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: