Saturday, October 23, 2010

5 entertaining things

1. M and I saw RED: Retired, Extremely Dangerous on Wednesday, and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. We each gave it a thumb's up, and probably a 4 out of 5 rating. Guns! Explosions! Your favorite award-winning actors looking amazing & acting cool!

The TV spot says it has the best cast in an action/comedy ever and, having seen the movie, I believe it could legitimately support that claim. First off it has FOUR Academy Award winners in it (Borgnine, Freeman, Mirren, and Dreyfuss) along with Oscar nominee Malkovich. Allow me to list for you, in something close to their order of appearance, the awesomeness that is this cast.:

Bruce Willis This is his best role in this vein since the first Die Hard, imo, and I am a big-time fan of Willis in this sort of role. Manages to seem real, convey a sense of calm control, and manages his stunts with panache. The one in the trailer below, stepping out of the spinning car, looks AMAZING on screen, although I understand it was CGI. A true man's man, he finds many uses for duct tape. Total suave badass.

Mary-Louise Parker Starts as a corporate drone with a rich fantasy life; turns out to be relatively badass. I appreciated that she didn't develop amazing skills the way Cameron Diaz's character did in Knight and Day, even while liking that Diaz did it. Her chemistry with Willis worked for me, her interrogation-room scene with Urban was completely satisfying, and she worked extremely well as the viewer's proxy in the strange world presented in the movie.

Karl Urban Described in the movie as "about 6'1, cute hair". Totes HAWT. Works for the CIA; appears to be a true "company man", but is obviously a family man as well. Even hotter with his own short, dark hair than with Eomer's blond locks. Complete and total badass.

Ernest Borgnine Possibly my favorite cameo appearance this year.

Morgan Freeman Both of my children persist in calling him "God" from prior roles. Plays a low-key retiree who nevertheless manages to be completely badass.

John Malkovich Quoth M: "John Malkovich makes this movie" - and really, isn't that true of so many of his roles? Nobody does paranoid badass like John Malkovich, who totally steals nearly every scene he's in.

Brian Cox Played a Russian named Ivan Simonov with a shared, antagonistic history with several of our CIA favorites. "Gas! I smell gas!" was our favorite line of his, but he was a sexy, subversive badass.

Helen Mirren SMOKIN' hot - M and I agreed on that point. She is completely and totally awesome in this role. Complete and total (sexy-hott) badass.

Richard Dreyfuss Can anyone do pushy, overbearing and slightly annoying like Dreyfuss? I don't think so.

Julian McMahon did a creditable job as Vice President Stanton. Quoth M: "he was in CHARMED!" *wonders if he likes being known for that role*





2. Mark at Mark Reads Harry Potter has gotten to Chapter 28 of The Deathly Hallows. I may have stayed up until 5 a.m. this morning finishing my re-read of it. *guzzles more tea* Once I hit Chapter 23, I couldn't bear to put the book down. I have no idea how Mark is managing to stick to his one-chapter-at-a-time reviews. I am also, as previously noted, already excited for the midnight showing of the movie, to which I already have tickets. Note: the first midnight show is not yet sold out. I rather suspect people aren't aware that tickets are already on sale.

3. The Phillies are still alive in the World Series. Game 6 is in Philadelphia tonight. I'll be hoping the Phils win.

4. I won't be watching any (or much) of the Phillies game because I'm going to the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, New Jersey to see the up-and-coming Philly-area band Sexoffice. My friend Lisa's son is the drummer, and I know from having seen his School of Rock gigs once upon a time that Ethan has mad skillz. Also, he's one of S's friends, and she told me when they were only in 6th grade what talent he had - and she was right. Heck, he's played Lollapalooza already, and he's not out of high school just yet!

I'm not certain their MySpace account is up to date, but you can hear four or five of their songs over at at their Facebook page.


5. Tomorrow night, I'm seeing MUSE in concert! Yes, again. When I got my check from tiger tales books for At the Boardwalk, I treated myself to tickets to see MUSE at the Prudential Center in Newark. Tickets were pretty inexpensive, actually, and I'm pretty excited to see the band again. And METRIC is opening, which makes me that much happier - LOVE Metric! I'm taking hubby along. Here's hoping he doesn't hate all of it.

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: