Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tuesday a-a-afternoon!

Yeah, I quoted the Moody Blues. What of it?

I am waiting.

Waiting for the internet to come back (where have you all gone?). Waiting for a phone call from Arizona to tell me that M has made it there safely (since her plane hasn't actually left yet, that will be hours from now). Waiting for what I consider important emails and/or bits of snail mail.

Know what? Ordinarily I don't mind waiting. Because if I'm waiting, it means that something's going on; something has been set in motion, in which I have some level of involvement, and that means that at least once upon a time, I was active. Waiting usually involves something over which I have no control, really, because if I had control, I'd be doing, not waiting.

So most of the time, I see waiting as a necessary part of the process, and I realize it means I have irons in the fire or whatever, and that I have to wait for them to get hot (if I want to extend that metaphor, and I guess I did), and I'm good with it. But this afternoon finds me a wee bit edgy about it. Mayhap it's because there are too many irons sitting there, waiting to get hot? Who knows? (Not me. There's something due any day; I will know right away, soon as it shows. And yes, now I've moved from the Moody Blues to Westside Story. What of it?)

But since I'm here now, singing my fantastic West Side Story medley in my head (and yes, I have a fantastic West Side Story medley, which I can sing the hell out of. What of it?), I will share the first half of the lyrics to "Something's Coming" with the rest of you who might be out there, waiting . . .

Something's Coming
by Stephen Sondheim

Could be!
Who knows?
There's something due any day;
I will know right away,
Soon as it shows.
It may come cannonballing down through the sky,
Gleam in its eye,
Bright as a rose!

Who knows?
It's only just out of reach,
Down the block, on a beach,
Under a tree.
I got a feeling there's a miracle due,
Gonna come true,
Coming to me!

Could it be? Yes, it could.
Something's coming, something good,
If I can wait!
Something's coming, I don't know what it is,
But it is
Gonna be great!


The rest of the lyrics are here, or scrolling across the screen on this video:





Fine, Mr. Sondheim, I will try to be more positive about this. But seriously? The waiting is the hardest part. (Yeah, now I'm quoting Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - what of it?)

I guess I'll just find something else to do.
Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: