Saturday, August 14, 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

I just got home from a late afternoon showing of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. I'm pretty certain I surprised my hubby by wanting to see it. I'm pretty sure I surprised him even more by expecting it to be exactly what it was, and by liking it. Turns out that while he reallyreally wanted to see it, he didn't expect it to be so video game-like, whereas it was pretty much what I bargained for. I liked the voiceovers and the graphic novelesque split screens (especially at the commencement of fights) and the little labels that popped up now and again to let you know what was what (or whose, if you were in the one-room basement apartment that Scott shared with his gay friend, Wallace, played by Kieran Culkin (who was my very favorite character in the movie - his delivery of every line and gesture was so spot on). So I left saying, "that was fun" and hubby left shrugging, saying "it was okay." (It's all about expectations, I think.)

So, about expectations: If you are looking for in-depth character building and motivation, this is not the film for you. Of course, if you've seen any ad for this film at all, you should already know not to expect that. But if you like fun! action! fights! Michael Cera! and rock music! then this is the film for you. It includes video game-like sequences, including a game-style Universal logo and opening tune at the start, cartoon violence, and stylized graphic novel elements. It also includes some impeccable grammar, including grammar humor. Oh, grammar humor, how I love you!

Evil Ex 3: "We have unfinished business, I and he".

Scott Pilgrim: "He and me."

Evil Ex 3: "Don't you talk to me about grammar."
For some further thoughts on the movie, I defer to Linda Holmes from NPR, who wrote 'Scott Pilgrim' Versus the Unfortunate Tendency to Review the Audience. To which I add, "What she said."

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: