Monday, August 16, 2010

Poetry in the Round

Went to my local poetry group tonight - so lovely to see old friends and new faces and to hear so much poetry. I read "Margaret Rose", the poem that's going to appear in Mountain Magic: Spellbinding Tales of Appalachia, for which this book trailer is now available. Looky! It's going to be available on October 9th!





I also read a poem about the gulf coast oil spill that I wrote, along with four of my Shakespeare poems, which went over like a house afire. So much so that I ended up sending one of them home with a lovely gentleman who asked if I had a spare copy. And no, I'm not going to tell you what they're about. Yet. All in due course of time, I hope.

I also got to listen to a dizzying assortment of poems, from haiku to free verse to works in forms, and from a variety of perspectives. One of the best poems I heard was from a recently published collection by Rafey Habib entitled Shades of Islam: Poems for a New Century, which my friend B.J. read aloud. It was really wonderful - and the whole evening was a marvelous use of time on a Monday evening.

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: