Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Metamorphosis by Betsy Franco

I've written a review of Betsy Franco's YA novel, Metamorphosis: Junior Year, which combines Franco's prose and poetry with illustrations done by her son, Tom Franco. (And if you're wondering "are they any relation to actor James Franco?", the answer is yes - Betsy is his mom, Tom is his brother.)

The "journal" written by a high school kid named Ovid is a modernized version of Ovid's tales, which proves that the more things change, the more they stay the same, as ancient stories get a modern twist set in high school in a way that teens can readily relate to. While I wondered at first what to make of so many stories about various friends and to try to figure out what "that f*cking thing I do" really was (and boy, did I guess wrong), I found myself completely sucked into the book and loving it by the end.

You can read my actual review of the book over at Guys Lit Wire. And I hope you will.

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: