Sunday, August 15, 2010

Kiss Me Kate

Hmmmmm . . .

I just finished watching the DVD of the Broadway revival of Kiss Me Kate, which I understand occasionally plays on PBS.

On the plus side:

1. I adore Cole Porter's music. And I knew all but two songs (the ones specific to the play within the play, Kiss Me Kate and something else), but had no idea they were from this musical. See, I've got this CD from the 90s called Red Hot + Blue: A Tribute to Cole Porter that has most of them on there, and some of them I knew from other collections, like Linda Ronstadt's collection of torch songs. (Although these days when I hear the name "Cole Porter", I think of Hugh Grant in Music & Lyrics, saying that Drew Barrymore's character was "like Cole Porter in panties. Although, come to think of it, Cole Porter probably wore panties" or words to that effect. But I digress.)

2. I enjoyed hearing so very much Shakespearean dialogue, both in the play within in the play and in the play itself and even in a couple of songs.

3. The guys who did "Brush Up Your Shakespeare" had me shaking with laughter. Especially the line "Kick her right in the Coriolanus." Here's a good concert version of the song:






On the minus side:

I have to wonder if there was a scene missing or something. I mean, the female lead was leaving to marry the dumbass general. And the two thugs were headed to Georgetown to pay a visit to somebody (was it the general? I sure hoped so). And Bianca/the actress playing her had her story line left completely unresolved. Yet in came Kate (late) for her cue, and it was the end of the play and the end of the DVD.

To which I say: What. Ever.

I suppose the moral of the story is that slapping an ending on there without actually, you know, writing the denouement is a crap move.

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: