Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Sunday, August 01, 2010

Converting all your sounds of woe into hey nonny nonny

What an interesting writing day today yesterday proved to be.

As I said in the prior post, I woke up knowing what I wanted to write, by which I mean that I knew what it was about, not necessarily what I specifically wanted to say. Should have been easy, yes?

Not so much. I wrote 1/2 of a poem, then scrapped it. I wrote 2/3 of another. Ditto. (On the plus side, the lather-rinse-repeatness of the process reminded me to dye my hair, so at least that got done midway through the day. But I digress.) I read my own blog posts on Much Ado About Nothiong. I listened to Mumford & Sons song, "Sigh No More", which cobbles together bits from here and there within the play to form coherent lyrics. I listened to Patrick Doyle's setting of "Sign No More", just because I like it so much. I read scenes. I watched the BBC's ShakespeaRetold version of Much Ado About Nothing starring Damian Lewis and Sarah Parish (God, I love that version! And not just because of all the Tom Jones songs. Here - see a wee bit of why. In this version, Benedick and Beatrice are news anchors with a history, and he's a bit of a ladies man. They have both been led to believe that the other person is in love with them just before this bit.)





But again, I digress. None of that really helped. Neither did watching Zac Efron in 17 Again, but boy is he cute or what? (I know, another digression.)

Anyhow, after flailing around like a muppet for a while, it occurred to me to give more thought to the particular form of the poem first, and then start. So I did some thinking on how to characterize the sort of poem I wanted to write, and some research on what sorts of forms are generally used for them (come on - you're not actually surprised by that, are you? You all have to know what a geek I am by now!),and hey presto! A sort of success! Half a poem written, and I want to keep it. The rest will wait for tomorrow morning's writing session.

*capers off to bed, thinking fondly of my lovely new project, singing hey nonny nonny*

Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home