Saturday, August 21, 2010

Back to School

Here in the U.S., it's time for kids to head back to school. (We run a 9-month school year, which means that kids start classes in either August or September and stop in May or June.)

I am neither a student nor a teacher, but "back to school" time is still one of my favorite times of year. And not just because it means the kids will be in school during the day - in fact, now that both of my girls are teens in high school, and since S has her license, the amount of work required for me to manage them has dropped dramatically, so they really aren't a big deal to manage. But I do love the school year because it means I can count on having the house completely to myself for solid chunks of time every day. It's being able to rely on that being the case that really appeals to me, since right now I never know who's going to be home, or what they're going to be up to.

But come September 7th, I'll know that the house is ALL MINE until at least 3 p.m. every day (when the girls get home if they come straight home from school - high school gets out at 2:30 around here). That means I can actually work at the dining room table if I want, without the possibility of being disturbed by someone watching TV, or I can work at the desktop computer in the family room without having to fight for the right to use that particular computer.

I am so fond of the academic year that for the past two years, I've made sure my Daily Planners run from July through July rather than January through December. It's so much easier for planning, you have almost no idea - and that includes putting things like writing conferences on there. And there's something about back-to-school season that makes me want to start fresh and get organized, all of which are good things (and dovetail nicely with fall cleaning, usually).

This year, I am hoping to start new projects and routines when the kids go back to school. New projects in the form of new writing, of course, but also new things in the house - some re-examining of the rooms and what's in them and the like, cleaning out the garage, re-decorating, etc. And some new routines like establishing a sort of schedule for myself, making sure exercise is on it (!), and planning out meals ahead of time. I guess that means that I'd better take some time to plan my "curriculum" between now and then, or none of it will happen.

Any big back-to-school plans for you?

Meanwhile, here's a link to one of my favorite emails from the movie You've Got Mail, in which Joe talks about school supplies, and says "I would send you a bouquet of newly-sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address." *swoon*

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: