Friday, March 19, 2010

The Woodpecker - a Poetry Friday post

This morning I could hear the tap-tap-tap-tap-tapping of a woodpecker in the neighborhood. It could be a downy woodpecker, a hairy woodpecker or a red-bellied woodpecker (all of which I've seen in my own yard), and I'm certain there are a few additional species in the area.

It brought to mind this short poem my grandfather was fond of reciting in his booming voice:

The woodpecker pecked at the wood-house door
He pecked and he pecked 'til his pecker got sore.


And yes, I'm laughing while typing this. As a kid, I didn't understand that there was a double entendre involved in this little rhymed couplet.

My grandfather was big on rhymes and songs. The songs in particular were sung lustily and full voice. They included a rather questionable re-write of the hymn "Jesus Lover of My Soul" that also has me laughing as I type. I'll post it in the comments, for those of you who might have an interest in it. (It being Lent, it doesn't "feel" right to post it in the body of the post somehow.)

My Poetry Friday is quite busy today - writing time now, and reading time later. Tonight is the launch party for the new edition of Up and Under, the literary journal published by the Quick & Dirty Poets. My poem, "Socratic Method", is included in the new issue, so I'll be reading that poem and at least one other at tonight's event in Mount Holly, NJ.



Kiva - loans that change lives

2 comments:

OTTO said...

woodpecker pecked on the schoolhouse door, he pecked and he pecked til his pecker got sore.

so the woodpecker pecked on the schoolhouse bell, he pecked and he pecked til his pecker got well.

woodpecker pecked in the schoolhouse yard, he pecked and he pecked til his pecker got hard.

so the woodpecker pecked in the schoolhouse loft, he pecked and he pecked til his pecker got soft.

my grandpa told the same one. there were a lot more verses, but I cant remember them.

Tom Profit said...

My father in law did the same one I believe there is a Verse like he pecked and pecked on a big old oak, he pecked and he pEcked til his pecker broke