Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Monday, January 04, 2010

Review of Captivate and M's Top Ten of 2010 list

My 15-year old daughter M is nothing if not a rabid fan of 's books (and with good reason, I might add). And so it is no surprise to me that CAPTIVATE is #1 on her "Top 10 of '10" list, which lists off the books coming out this year that she most wants to read. In fairness, I have to point out that she's already read ARCs of four of them (lucky girl that she is to have a mother with at least some access to these things). But first, her review of Captivate.

CAPTIVATE

Well, it's number 1 on my "Top 10 of '10", and I was super psyched for it. Carrie Jones's Captivate does not disappoint. Once again [as in Love and Other Uses for Duct Tape, the sequel to Tips on Having a Gay (ex)Boyfriend], Carrie made me fall even more in love with each character. I mean, Zara's ass-kickingly awesome (more than ever) and Nick is just super swoon-worthy throughout. Don't even get me started on Devyn and, of course, my bunny-loving favorite, Issie.

Each character shines (and a few leave behind shiny things) in Captivate. But even more impressive is how Carrie manages to make Norse mythology cool. (There's something I never would've thought possible.) The way Jones incorporates the old tales into this new, action-packed book is "mind bottling."*

I honestly loved every minute of it, and yes even when I was crying at 1 a.m. while reading a particular scene, I STILL loved it. Carrie Jones continues to (oh yeah, I'm going there) Captivate me.

*yes, I mean "mind bottling". Blades of Glory.

And here, as promised, is M's Top 10 of '10 list. I should note that these are books she is looking forward to either because they are sequels, or because she especially loves the author(s). There are books to come that she will undoubtedly adore, and if asked at year's end, this list might look significantly different - although I rather expect she might leave Captivate at #1 - she really, truly loves Carrie's writing.

M's Top 10 of '10

1. Captivate by Carrie Jones
2. Linger by Maggie Stiefvater
3. The Dead-Tosses Waves by Carrie Ryan
4. The Hunger Games Book 3 by Suzanne Collins
5. The Betrayal of the Blood Lily by Lauren Willig
6. Chasing Brooklyn by Lisa Schroeder
7. Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev
8. The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard
9. Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan
10. Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson

Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home