Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A bit of Othello on a Thursday

Somehow when it was yesterday (Wednesday), I thought it was Tuesday, and therefore posted a Persuasion post. I ought to have posted a Shakespeare-related post, and yesterday's Persuasion post would then have run today. So I'm declaring a belated do-over (or a "d'oh!"-over), and posting a few lines of Othello today.

I'm posting them because when I woke up this morning, the line "Put out the light, and then put out the light" was in my head, so today's selection comes to us from Act V, scene 2 of Othello, which I discussed with the talented Tessa Gratton during Brush Up Your Shakespeare Month:

It is the cause, it is the cause, my soul,--
Let me not name it to you, you chaste stars!--
It is the cause. Yet I'll not shed her blood;
Nor scar that whiter skin of hers than snow,
And smooth as monumental alabaster.
Yet she must die, else she'll betray more men.
Put out the light, and then put out the light:
If I quench thee, thou flaming minister,
I can again thy former light restore,
Should I repent me: but once put out thy light,
Thou cunning'st pattern of excelling nature,
I know not where is that Promethean heat
That can thy light relume. When I have pluck'd the rose,
I cannot give it vital growth again.


Tomorrow: A Poetry Friday post, plus the penultimate chapter of Persuasion. (If I say it now, I'll remember what day it is tomorrow.)

Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home