Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Vampire Haiku

Remember me talking about my affection for Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum, whom I later interviewed for the 2009 Summer Blog Blast Tour? Well, let me tell you something: Ryan has done it again with VAMPIRE HAIKU, in which he combines haiku and story, humor and horror, and adds history, a hint of romance, and social commentary to boot. While the vampires in it may, this is one book that doesn't suck. Also? This book is as much a survey of American history as it is the story of one vampire through the ages.

You can read my full review over at Guys Lit Wire, but I figured I'd leave you with a few juicy tidbits. (I know - I kill me, too!)

Two vampire revelations for our main character, William, who was turned on The Mayflower by a woman named Katherine:

She explains to me
that wood through my heart will kill.
I don't think that's new.
. . .
Blood tastes like cherries
mixed with a lot of copper
and way too much salt.

And a few of the pop culture references - I'm pretty certain you'll be able to guess which TV shows or movies they go with, assuming you've seen the more popular/mainstream vampire fare over the past 20 years or so:

Now I've seen it all.
Vampire puppets on TV
teaching kids to count.
. . .
My favorite show
stars the cutest little girl
killing fake vampires.
. . .
Those were not vampires.
If sunlight makes you sparkle,
you're a unicorn.
. . .
What would be better
than biting on a Corey?
Biting two Coreys.

I hope you'll check it out!

Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home