Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Quoteskimming

Mostly just the quotes today.

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it."
~Thomas Jefferson. This one works well, I think, with the quote below from Ryan Hipp, who wrote an entry at Tara Lazar's blog for Picture Book Idea Month.

Ideas are cheap. They come too easily to all of us. The truth is, there is not a shortage on ideas. Everyone has ideas. Everyone. I am more impressed with something more rare and valuable than an idea: perseverance, practice, dedication, commitment, hard work, and patience. The best idea in the world is a moot point until you start climbing that mountain and joining the other hard workers on the summit.

I don’t want to discount the importance of ideas. Every good book starts with a good idea; but they are just building blocks, not a castle. So my advice is to keep dreaming, and keep generating ideas; but don’t forget the more important step: bring those ideas to life.

And a few from the Winter Blog Blast Tour:

First up, a quote from Derek Landy, author of the Skulduggery Pleasant books, who was interviewed at Finding Wonderland:

To be honest, populating these books with strong female characters never occurred to me--this was never the objective. The fact is, this is merely how I see most women, and these are the only kinds of women that interest me. My mother is fiercely intelligent, my sisters are formidable, my female friends are admirable--I have been surrounded by strong women my entire life, and this is the only thing I know.

And this from Vivian's interview with R.L. LaFevers at Hip Writer Mama:

Kids are so much more open to the world of possibilities around them than many adults. Their minds are fresh and eager and willing to go along on an adventure. They are soaking up everything like little sponges, trying on ideas and philosophies, worldviews and ideologies—often without even realizing it.

Also, I’ve had a rather satisfying adulthood, whereas my childhood was another matter. I felt powerless, voiceless, swept along by events I barely understood and couldn’t control. For me, those were the ages that were most ripe with material and issues that act as good story fodder.


Kiva - loans that change lives

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home