Friday, September 18, 2009

Bad Day by Kay Ryan - a Poetry Friday post

Everyone has bad days sometimes. As I continue on my revisions for the second gnome chapter book, I thought of this poem by the current U.S. Poet Laureate, Kay Ryan.

It's a very short poem; nevertheless, I've truncated it so as not to violate copyright laws. I hope you'll click through and read the poem in full:

Bad Day
by Kay Ryan

Not every day
is a good day
for the elfin tailor.
Some days
the stolen cloth
reveals what it
was made for:
a handsome weskit
or the jerkin
of an elfin sailor.

* * *

But some days
neither the idea
nor the material
presents itself;
and these are
the hard days
for the tailor elf.


Read the whole (short) poem here.

I love Ryan's sly use of rhyme and slant rhyme in this poem: tailor/for/sailor, weskit/jacket/fabric, itself/elf and the internal rhymes such as jerkin/elfin. And I love who perfect a metaphor this is for writing poetry.



Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: