Sunday, May 10, 2009

Quoteskimming

I don't have many quotes today, but I like the two that I've got:

Back in April, British author Sir Clement Freud died. And Neil Gaiman posted about his death and his obituary, but it was what he said about his own work and its main character (Coraline, a book of which I am particularly fond) that spoke to me:

I never met him. I loved corresponding with him -- he was funny and dry, and he loved Coraline, although he didn't like the bit where she cried in the night in the empty bed. He thought that, as hero and a brave girl, she should not have cried. And I thought that she was a hero and a brave girl because she cried in the night and kept going anyway.

And a quote from motivational speaker and self-help guru Frank Tibolt, which I think argues quite cogently for the butt-in-chair method of writing, even though his comment is not limited to writing alone, but to any activity, really:

"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."


Ooh - reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Emma, the novel by Jane Austen, and this line spoken by Mr. Weston: "What is right to be done cannot be done too soon."

Kiva - loans that change lives

No comments: