Monday, December 31, 2007

There I go, turn the page

Time keeps on tickin', tickin', tickin' into the future.

Yeah, I'm mixing my '70s song lyrics today (Bob Seger, "Turn the Page" and Steve Miller Band, "Fly Like an Eagle", for those of you too young to get the references).

Here's the thing about New Year's Eve. It's really not a humongous deal to me. Or to mother nature. But it is a way to mark the turning of the year, even if nature turned the year back at the solstice.

I won't be making any resolutions this year, really. But I will be choosing a theme (à la Laura Purdie Salas) and/or a motto (à la Cindy Lord). And I will be taping my wish list behind the Magic Mirror (a trick I learned from my good friend Linda Urban).

And tomorrow, on the first day of the year, I will make some time for lunch with a new(ish) friend and for writing, because I've heard that what you spend your first day of the year doing is how you'll spend your whole year. And I'd like to spend time connecting with friends and writing this year. How 'bout you?

Something I will miss going forward: My business-daily dose of Brotherhood 2.0, which I've watched since its inception. Before it went viral with Hank's song, "Accio Deathly Hallows" and before the "Nerdfighter" label even existed. The parting video made me cry real tears, unexpected and sudden, full of nostalgia and gratitude. But they'll be doing weekly posts in the new year, so huzzah for that!

Speaking of gratitude, I am extremely grateful for all of you, those who lurk, those of you who comment, those of you who I've met and those of you who I've yet to meet. Your presence and support have made my days better, whether the day was good or bad to begin with.

A final poem to share with you in 2007, from William Butler Yeats.

He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

No comments: