Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Whatcha readin'? -- a meme

Today, Bookmoot tagged me for a meme. I can use the procrastination time. Also, it's an easy one, being only one question:

What books are you reading?

First up, a bunch of Jane books:

Jane Austen in Context ed. by Janet Todd



The Jane Austen Handbook: A Sensible Yet Elegant Guide to Her World by Maggie Sullivan (who runs AustenBlog and Tilneys and Trap-doors).



Jane Austen's Guide to Good Manners: Compliments, Charades & Horrible Blunders by Josephine Ross and Henrietta Webb



Juvenilia by Jane Austen, Cambridge ed.




And there's more, but I'll leave off there for now.

Also, as Jane research:

Introducing the Enlightenment by Lloyd Spencer et al.




Other reading:

Maude March on the Run by Audrey Couloumbis



American Bee: The National Spelling Bee and the Culture of Word Nerds by James Maguire



The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within by Stephen Fry



Nine Horses: Poems by Billy Collins




I should note that I'm reading straight through Introducing the Enlightenment and taking notes, that I'm partway through American Bee but stalled, and that reference to the poetry books is an ongoing thing. Plus I've got a lot more poetry books that I riffle through now and again, but right now I'm reading a few from Nine Horses every day.

I'm not sure which is the sadder part -- how many books I'm reading, or how very many I have that I wish I had the time to read.

Tagging Debbi Michiko Florence, Literaticat, and Colleen Cook.

4 comments:

Camille said...

We all have so many books going. I think that is a hoot!

Genevieve said...

I'm reading the second and third of those Jane books right now, and have read the Juvenilia. How do you like the first one?

Kelly Fineman said...

It is very good for what it is -- it contains a bunch of essays ranging from a timeline and biography of her life to discussions of biographies about her to critical responses to her work to the state of agriculture during her lifetime. A real mixed bag, but as someone working on a biography of her, very interesting stuff.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

I just caught that one of the books you're reading is edited by Janet Todd. I always get a kick out of that. I'm friends with her daughter. It tickles me that my friend's mommy and Germaine Greer are literary rivals.