Monday, April 23, 2007

The Prickle Ball Tree -- a National Poetry Month post

Yesterday, my husband spent hours in our front yard, raking up lots of gum balls. And not the candy-coated chewy kind either.




Today, I decided to share with you an original poem I wrote a while back in honor of these @%^Y$#&^ trees, of which we have two.

The Prickle Ball Tree
by Kelly R. Fineman

I have a prickle ball tree in my front yard.
You may argue with me,
saying, “that is not its name.
It’s a sweet gum tree,
in Latin, Liquidambar styraciflua L.
Call it what you will.
A prickle ball tree by any other name
still makes a mess of the lawn.


This one comes with a nod to William Shakespeare, whose Sonnet 116 I posted on Saturday. But the source idea comes from Romeo and Juliet, Act II, sc. ii:

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet


Here's hoping your day has more roses than prickle balls.

No comments: