Sunday, April 29, 2007

One day to go -- a National Poetry Month post

Today was a difficult day. Unlike in Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, however, tomorrow will not be better. Today was difficult because we got a new puppy. An adorable, fuzzy black puppy, who is sweet and loving and loveable and a complete time suck of a being. Until said puppy, whose name may or may not be Wally, is house-broken, my life will consist of a lot of ins and outs (and ins and outs) and cleaning up mess. But I digress.

Tomorrow, as you know, is the last day of April and hence the last day of National Poetry Month. I'll be ending the month with my promised interview with Adam Selzer, author of How to Get Suspended and Influence People, which I reviewed yesterday. For those wondering, I read the book and loved it so much that I contacted Adam and asked if he'd let me interview him. So I'm not pandering a book for an established friend. More like I'm pandering for an interview with someone whose work I already admire. Just in case any of you are in the Read Roger camp on these sorts of thing. Which I doubt.

Today, I'm sharing a poem by A.E. Housman. It is a hopeful sort of poem, I think. And because it is late, and I am tired, and I think this one is so clear and perfect, that nothing more need be said:


Stars, I Have Seen Them Fall

by A.E. Housman

Stars, I have seen them fall,
&emsp But when they drop and die
No star is lost at all
&emsp From all the star-sown sky.
The toil of all that be
&emsp Helps not the primal fault;
It rains into the sea,
&emsp And still the sea is salt.

No comments: