Saturday, April 21, 2007

Cotton candy, popcorn -- I'm going to the Carnival!

The Carnival of Children's Literature, that is, being hosted over at Jen Robinson's page.

Book reviews are separated into Kiddie Rides, the Ferris Wheel, and the Roller Coaster. And then there's a Merry-go-round of booklists, a Calliope of poetry, "Performance Artists" (which is, to my mind, a kinder version of "freak show"), featuring a number of articles about writers, the writing life, and writing in general. There's a section called "Fried Dough, Cotton Candy and Sno-Cones", featuring a variety of kid-lit related posts, "The Midway" full of prizes and awards, and finally, "The Entertainers" -- a pair of humor pieces you don't want to miss.

If you look closely while you're over at the Calliope, you'll find my review of Hey You!: Poems to Skyscrapers, Mosquitoes and Other Fun Things.

Certain treats are not to be missed, like Alkelda the Gleeful's take on Children's Books that Never Were. While one is featured, Alkelda has presented several of them. By all means, click on the label for "children's books that never were" to see the treatment given to the unholy triumvirate of children's books (The Rainbow Fish, I'll Love You Forever, and The Giving Tree), as well as to other beloved children's books.

Also excellent? "Penguin Pride" from Jay Asher, one of The Disco Mermaids. If you've noticed that I'm focusing on stuff that makes me laugh, well, you're correct. But there is lots of stuff to make you think as well, and many reviews and interviews of interest.

What are you waiting for? Grab a cold beverage and head on over to the Carnival!

3 comments:

Jen Robinson said...

Thanks for the wonderful write-up, Kelly! I had a lot of fun putting the carnival together. I liked the humorous pieces, too.

Alkelda the Gleeful said...

Thanks for the shout-out! It makes me giddy.

Kelly Fineman said...

Alkelda: The tremendous cleverness of your editorial letters is truly, breath-takingly awesome.

Jen: My appreciation for the funny bits in no way diminishes my appreciation for all the other bits as well. It's just that the two I gave particular notice to are both spit-take worthy. And who doesn't love a good spit-take?