Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Back to school, redux -- a National Poetry Month post

Today, as I head off to the elementary school to talk about poetry with the second and third graders, I thought I’d share one of the poems I wrote for a collection about the moon. I’ll be sharing this poem with second graders this afternoon, but you guys get to see it first.

Day Moon

On a walk the other day,
I didn’t know quite what to say.
Although it was still afternoon,
In the sky, I saw the moon.


I’m just hoping the clouds lift enough to see the sun today, to tell the truth. And that my voice holds out. And that I manage to wake up a bit more before I have to "go on."

2 comments:

Robert Peake said...

What? You're not going to read Bukowski to the second graders instead? Hmph. :)

Seriously, I found Blake's "The Tiger" is a huge hit among the seven-and-eight-year-old crowd. Probably a lot to do with rhythm and sound-sense.

Kelly Fineman said...

I've been reading The Crocodile to them, but today I believe Tiger Tiger burning bright will join it. The second graders followed Casey at the Bat, but it went on too long for them, and so I'm ditching it for the first graders. Sigh. But I'm keeping Jabberwocky.