Writing and Ruminating

Thoughts on writing, reading, and poetry. With the occasional diversion, bien sûr.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Lookie What I Just Got



That's right, it's a collection of the best poems in the English language. How do I know they're the best? Well, because the title says so -- the title is The Best Poems of the English Language: From Chaucer Through Frost, and it's edited by Harold Bloom. And they couldn't say it if it weren't true, right?

I'm excited about the collection because as you may have deduced, I love poetry. Also, it includes a poem by William Cowper, a favorite poet of Jane Austen's, and I was looking for some of his stuff to read, and lo and behold, this swanky anthology caught my eye and there it was -- the very poem read aloud by Hugh Grant (badly) and Kate Winslet (dramatically) in the screen version of Sense and Sensibility. The added bonus to this particular anthology is that, given it's heft, it can double as a workout device.

I also added the following books to my reading pile:




Because a blog tour such as the one recently embarked on by Lisa Graff is such an excellent marketing strategy that I had to buy the book. Check out her stops at Fuse #8, Big A little a and Mother Reader, for starters.




Because Jennifer Lynn Barnes is a long-time blog friend and a kick-ass author, and I can't wait to read this one (and to hand it off to S, who love-love-loved GOLDEN). My only disappointment? No tattoo stickers. I am sadder than you know about that. First I didn't get the toenail decals for Cecil Castellucci's Queen of Cool, and now no tattoos with TATTOO. Sigh.




Because I was so happy with The Professor and the Madman (about the creation of the OED) that this seemed like a logical follow-up.




Because the book trailer that I saw about it last month made me want to read the book. And when I picked it up to have a look-see at the start of the book, I liked what I saw enough to put out the cash for it. And I'm pretty sure M will love it.




Because it's that good. And yes, faithful readers, I already own it, but I bought this copy to send to my cousin's family, because my cousin-in-law Rick is an engineer who specializes in historical restorations and whatnot, and is currently helping to restore and preserve one of the Rosenwald schools in South Carolina, and I figure this book will help him explain its significance to his children better than all the talking about roofing in the world.

There are two more books on my "to-buy" list at present, but really, I couldn't carry them. One is The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick, which is something like a million pages long and weighs about 50 pounds. Okay, those are both exaggerations, but because it's a cross between a novel and a graphic novel and it's in hard cover, it's frakkin' huge. (Use of the word "frakkin'" inspired by my continued fascination with the Green brother's vblog, which you can see on You Tube, at Brotherhood 2.0, and on John Green's blog.) The other book I've got my eye on is Un Lun Dun by China Mieville, a guy with many piercings (based on his author photo). It comes recommended for fans of Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker, and although it's in the middle grade collection at the local Barnes & Noble, the Library Journal recommends it for adult sci-fi collections as well.

So, what books have you bought recently, and which are on your must-buy list?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home