Wednesday, November 29, 2006



Today, I've been reading Seeing the Blue Between: Advice and Inspiration for Young Poets, compiled by one of my favorite poetry editors, Paul B. Janeczko. Why is he one of my favorites? Because he likes it all, all of the poems, whether they are concrete poems or free verse, haiku or sonnets, rhymed couplets or found poems.

Why I like this book: It is a marvel. It includes letters and poems from thirty-two renowned poets. Each poet has written a letter to the budding young poets who are the intended audience for this book. And then, each poet has provided (or had chosen for them, I'm not sure) one to three poems of theirs. Not poems about writing poetry, either. Poems that show them at their finest, singing stories and sharing experience with their readers.

And the best news of all?

This book came out in paperback earlier this year, with a slightly modified cover. I believe I will buy myself a copy.

No comments: